Re: musings

From: Loren Miller <loren_at_hops.wharton.upenn.edu>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 1995 18:28:32 -0500 (EST)

Now 'tis time to muse on many subjects in one post.

Aiiieeeee!

Eric Rowe on Mostalism, Yuko, 3EB, etc...
> this out. Yuko did know his proud traditions, unfortunately, like much of
> the material in the Mostal Special, that was indeed Gregged. When discussing
> Yuko, Greg told me the current version I jumped up and down in protest
> because of what was in Issue 24, but to no avail.

This is why the Crimson Greg has become such a figure of horror, you base your carefully crafted scenario background on all the available information, doing a bangup job of integrating everything that you can find, and then you present it for official approval and it gets shot down because the available information got retconned in the meantime by a perfectionist who can seemingly never leave good enough alone.

So what is the purpose? We know that GS thinks of himself, at least in part, as a shaman, and those of us who know anything about shamans know that they are tricksters who love to pull the rug out from under people.

Some of us have also read God Emperor of Dune and remember that Emperor Leto's purpose in repressing his subjects and causing a horrifying collapse of universal civilization was to encourage his subjects to flee into other galaxies and develop their own civilizations, thus spreading humanity among the stars.

So is GS doing what he is because he (a) is a perfectionist who can't leave good enough alone, (b) loves pulling the rug out from under people, or (c) wants to encourage us to leave official glorantha and create our own unofficial gloranthas? Who cares? It doesn't make any difference what his real motives are. Here's why. His motives don't affect us. But his actions do.

I don't really care to analyse GS's real motives more deeply (though IMO apparent motives are fair game), but perhaps the belief that would let the most people stay sane would be c, and we can adopt it unilaterally? Answer c will work in Glorantha, though obviously it works even better in a non-G setting, so let's keep it in mind (along with MGF) as we develop our petit-Gloranthas.

Greybeard Zunder writes:
> Do people agree that Humakti in Orlanthi society in Sartar are outlaws?

No. I believe you're alone there. Eurmal, however, defines outlaw for the Orlanthi.

Truls Parsson (>) writes about vegetarianism in reply to Alex (>>):
> I would use people > animals > fish > plants

>>Note that I'm not saying this value-ordering is Wrong, just that I
>>don't see it is a universal thing.  Furthermore, it's somewhat Boring
>>for game purposes to assume that an Arroyan cultist is going to find
>>people with exactly the same ideas of a Ethical Diet wherever in the
>>Wide Wide World they travel.

> I would say it would probably be the most common.

Exactly. Of course, a completist such as myself would expand it like this:

Family > Other Humans > Primates > Mammals > Land Animals  > Birds & Fish > Insects > Dairy > Plants

And animals like coral would be classified with plants. This is a pretty easily grokked hierarchy from the most like "real people" (i.e. our family) to those things that are the least like "real people" (i.e. plants). Some folks will think that certain birds are "family" and those birds don't get eaten. Other folks will think that rabbits are fish because they have flippers (?!) on their heads instead of ears, so that even people who won't eat meat other than fish can eat rabbits. They're fair game (pun intended).

Certainly everybody I've ever spoken to about the ethics of eating, or just what possible menus arouse revulsion, has followed this hierarchy. Vegetarians may be vegans who don't eat any animal products at all, or they may eat plants and dairy, or plants and dairy and fish, or plants and dairy and fish and poultry, but I don't know anybody who eats plants and primates only, and who thinks that other categories are ethically objectionable. I do know people who only want to eat meat, but their preferences are clearly individual and not ethical.

Andrew Joelson writes:
> index glorantha-digest

Bad! Bad! No supper for you!

Nick Brooke writes: a lot of awfully good stuff about God Learners and so on, and I love it. Fortunately or not it has inspired me to...

CARMANIAN MUSINGS

If it is true, as it seems to be, that Syranthir and the Carmanians left Loskalm to avoid the Return to Rightness fanatics who were casting down all gods but the Invisible God, then their understanding of the Creator must be pre-IG. They are a purer strain of old-style Hrestoli than any others we have, with the possible exception of Arkati and Stygians. They took Humct with them, and Worlath the Lord of the Air, Ehilm the bright solar disk, and their other gods (now named by post-GL Malkioni as the "false gods"). They also took the four caste system (Malkion's Laws) in whatever variant they followed, though Nick has revealed that they left their Farmer caste behind. [I'd like to know how they justified that, by the way. Don't rulers have an obligation to protect and rule their peasantry?] They took Solace in Glory with them, so that the law abiding man (or woman, how were those old Hrestoli on the place of women?) could go to Solace after death. And they took Joy of the Heart, so that the intent of the law became as valuable as the letter. How did the proto-Carmanians worship all their gods, though? I don't think they worshipped the Creator with an active cult. How did they worship the other gods? Did they have mutually exclusive mystery religions, as modern Gloranthan theists do? Did they go to a temple of all the gods whom are fit to worship? Or did they have some other system to categorize the gods, such as Runes (notably, this would be of necessity a pre-GL set of Runes)?

More later...