Humakti (again)

From: PMichaels_at_aol.com
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 1995 02:07:05 -0500

Sandy - I'm glad you liked the quote.

On the importance of the cultural context when thinking about people and cults (which both Sandy and Nick point out), I agree completely! (In fact, this all came out of my wondering why different cultures would have a cult like Humakt, and what different approaches would come out of that.) I probably overstated and exaggerated in making my point when I said, "The Sartarite Humakti honor is DIFFERENT and SEPARATE from the honor of the Sartarite Orlanthi." I should have left out the "SEPERATE", and toned down myself down to "different." My point is that Humakti take a more independent approach than Orlanthi, and that Humakti honor is a taking of the Orlanthi honor to an extreme. They apply such traditional Orlanthi concepts as justice on an individual basis as well as a clan basis. For instance, I think a Humakti is the only one who can get away with chastising a clan for the way it mistreated a kinsman. So, I think that this _does_ make a Sartarite Humakti's understanding of honor different from that of his traditional Orlanthi kin. I'll agree with Sandy that these differences are, "Changes, Additions, and Deletions from a basic code, not a whole different attitude towards life." {Well said, Sandy!} But I still think the differences between the Humkti and Orlanthi in Sartar are greater than the differences between the Humathi and Orlanthi in East Ralios.

To David:
Are you implying that in Sartar the Humakti basically make up a different type of clan; that Humakti are a clan, but just not based on blood kinship?  If so, I'm afraid I disagree. And, I _do_ think ALL Humakti from Sartar
(which is different from all Huamkti _in_ Sartar) have taken the ritual of
kinship severance.

To Kevin:
Paul is my brother. I'm Peter. :-)
(And no, there is no "Mary" in my family.)

I think the Carmanian Humakti come from a Western tradition, and their approach is probably more akin to the approach the Safelsteran knights take.  But, I haven't done much exploration into this. Maybe Nick can illumi.... uh, tell us about his thoughts about Carmanian Huamkti?

Peace,

     Peter