Carmanians and Stygians

From: Peter Metcalfe, CAPE Canty <CHEN190_at_cantva.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 1995 22:34:27 +1300

Loren Miller:

Wrote in his CARMANIAN MUSINGS:

>If it is true, as it seems to be, that Syranthir and the Carmanians
>left Loskalm to avoid the Return to Rightness fanatics who were
>casting down all gods but the Invisible God, then their understanding
>of the Creator must be pre-IG.

The Modern Magi commune with the Creator to determine which God is acceptable to worship and what isn't. I think this is what they took with them and what the Return to Rightness castigated them as heretics for. How they arrived at this practice, I can only assume that it was uncovered during the Chaos Wars. Perhaps they practiced the Shamanic rites of discorporation of the soul and used this to commune with the Hsunchen Spirit 'Earthmaker' whom the Magi identified as the Creator? This would explain their conflict with the God Learners 'Invisible God' rites and the indigenous truths of the Syranthirings.

>They [the Carmanians] took Humct with them, and Worlath the Lord
>of the Air, Ehilm the bright solar disk, and their other gods (now
>named by post-GL Malkioni as the "false gods").

I think the False Gods were much earlier in origin. Malkion in his pre-Relevation phrase expelled them all from the Kingdom of Logic. In any case later Malkioni would have resurrected their worship (such as Ehilm). However I don't think the Carmanians took Humct with them as he is a vivisectonist, not a Warrior, in Western Myth and I regard him as being a distinct diety from Humakt. I guess the Magi found Humakt in their trances and identified him as a Rightful God to worship.

Ehilm is primarily found in Ralios now. The Carmanians adopted the worship of Indovanus when they reached Carmania so I don't think they took along the worship of Ehilm. As for Worlath, he might have been worshipped by the Syranthirings, I really don't know.

>Got a problem with pre-Hrestol Malkionism as described by Nick. Maybe
>it's a beam, maybe it's a mote. I tend to think it's a beam.

>> "I Fought We Won"
>>
>> [Deleted]
>>
>> At the moment the Universe fails, Malkion is absorbed into the Invisible God,
>> and together they recreate the Universe and inspire its inhabitants.

>Here's my problem. If the Invisible God was not understood as such
>before the GL's then how could this be true? I think it's far more
>likely that the original story went something like this:

>At the moment the Universe fails, the Creator Recreates it and its
>inhabitants, who are in a state of inspiration. Malkion is weary
>after an eternity of struggle in the Darkness, and is assumed into
>Solace as his reward, as are the faithful of Malkonwal [Notably,
>Malkion's son Zzzabur is not numbered among the faithful]. After the
>Recreation, the Creator returns to its previous state [either
>inaction, or a source of universal laws, take your pick].

Umm, IMO, the Old Malkioni didn't *know* what had happened to Malkion at the 'I fought, We Won'. They were the People whose Prophet Had Left Them. The origin of the name of God Forgot (in the RuneQuest Companion) is instructive. Their Wizards would have theorized that Malkion would have entered Solace but this would be said without much conviction.

At the Dawn, Malkion comes back and his people know that he has entered solace. But they don't know why He Left Them. Malkion wasn't killed, that fact alone would have been comforting. The Fronelan Malkioni and later the Seshnegi accept Hrestol's relevation of Joy of the Heart as the way to reach Malkion in Solace but the stigma of having been Left Behind due to some defect is, IMO, one of the major troublesome doctrinal matters in the Pre-GL era. It was not convincingly resolved until the Return to Righteousness Crusade identifies that Malkion participated in the IFWW and the nature of the IFWW battle itself.

My take on the Stygians:

The Stygians originally believe that Arkat achieved Communion with the Creator by becoming enarmoured of and manifesting the Dark Powers by worshipping the Stygian Gods. This was because the Creator is hidden from the World in Blackness which is why he is so difficult to reach. This denies logicality sure, but Arkat superseded the Cults of Malkion and Hrestol in his quest. One can imagine the Pre-GL Seshnegi damning the Stygians for worshipping the Creator in Black Masses when He shouldn't be worshipped at all. Then when the Return to Rightness discovers the Invisible God, They damn the Stygians for blasphemizing the Invisible God in False Rites.

Nowadays I think the Stygian faith has accepted the IG after having been repeatedly conquered by the Seshnegi (first under the Return to Rightness and later under King Ulianus for starters). But they undoubtedly have secret black rites in which one truely gets to know the Invisible God, IMO.