Third Eye Blue Origins?

From: Eric Rowe <rowe_at_CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 1995 02:01:05 -0800

Peter writes...

>It also gregs a lot of other things as well, Zero Wane Chronicles (where
>Syranthir *introduces* the Third Eye Blue into Peloria) and the Fronela
>Writeup in G:CotHW.

I wouldn't get to hung up on this. The Tastolar mention in Fronela could still be correct, their people may have arisen there. But, they were not Third Eye Blue until later. As to the Zero Wane Chronicles, that is clearly wrong. Syranthir may bring some along with him, but General Daxdaruis from Pelandre(the reason Wendaria became Pelanda) was supplied arms from Third Eye Blue cultists. This was whole ages before Syranthir. Look in the Elmexdros Roll text for this reference.(Fortunate Succession)

>>My current take on the situation is that they were a cult/branch of
>>the proto-wendarian culture or a Fronelan group that contacted and was
>>influenced by that culture long ago. When their hero stole the secrets
>>of the Mostali they became persecuted by the dwarves, but their
>>services became invaluable to other humans.
>
>So the Third Eye Blue speaks a language similar to Dara Happan (1/10th
>skill say)?

I would think not. Whether their language is native to Tastolar with Wendarian influence, or proto-Wendarian, it has no connection to DH.

>So what you're saying that the Third Eye Blue was a social group in a larger
>Ice Age Civilisation? The Hero discovers metalworking and is jumped on by
>the Nidan Decamony. The (Wendarian?) Empire collaspes and the Third Eye Blue
>People become nomadic?

Close. I believe the Third Eye Blue may have already been the smith cult in their culture. When their leader stole mostali secrets they gained more political power, but became a danger to any they remained with, for the mostali would find them and kill everyone. So, they learned to stay on the move.

>Attempting to repair the gregged Ice Age history of Lower Fronela. A large
>number of the Third Eye Blue after their initial dispersal migrate downriver.
>They then become allied to the Janubians who make them an important Caste of
>the Kingdom of Akem. The majority of the third eye blue live in the Tastolar
>uplands becuase of the dwarf-free mines. The captial of the Janubian Kingdom
>is at Tarnwall.

Well, except this makes it difficult for them to be in contact with Daxdarius. I don't see a problem with them being wandering smiths even at this time.

>The Nidan Decamony espying this serious threat to their ideal metalworking
>monopoly pass internal memos amongst themselves say 'this should not be'.
>They then persudae/drive the Syranor barbarians to infiltrate the Janubian
>Kingdom and destory it. Thus the Westerners say the Third Eye Blue come
>from Tastolar and they do. The Fronelan Third Eye Blue claim to have ruled
>all of Fronela and they have some claim. And the Pelorian Third Eye Blue
>claim to have always been wandering smiths since they discovered the secrets
>of metal working and they have. Does this accord with your take?

It's as good as any other, though my personal view wouldn't have the Nidan involvement(the Decamony wasn't there at the time, most of the Mostali still hanging around the spike), nor would there be much 3rd eye influence in Fronela. I don't think there is evidence for them ever having major political power or effect upon any region, which agrees with the wandering people concept.

eric