7 man file

From: Harald Smith (617) 724-9843 <"Harald>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 1995 10:54:00 -0500 (EST)

  I agree with his comments and like the use of the monitor. I've been   using a 7 man file (which I call Septoi) as part of the Native Imther   Corps.

  One of the benefits of the 7 man unit including a leader is that it can   nominally cover all directions. With each person as a point in a   hexagon and the file leader/monitor in the center, the group can quickly   rotate its face to cover rear or flanking attacks. The monitor is   somewhat protected in this arrangement so that he/she can apply magic to   the current front even while they are under immediate attack. If the   front turns, the monitor turns to continue magical application. If the   front stabilizes, the monitor can order the flanks into the front with   appropriate magic and still has his/her back protected.

  It would not surprise me if this formation developed in the period of   Sheng Seleris when units had to protect themselves from the cavalry   tearing through their front pike lines and then turning back to hit   their flanks.

  Harald

End of Glorantha Digest V1 #206