The 1000 faces of the Humakti thread.

From: alex_at_dcs.gla.ac.uk
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 95 21:28:55 GMT

T.J.Minas waxes enthusiastic about Humakti, and states:
> Also, on joining Humakt and other cults. Well, I think this is possible, but
> if you become initiated into Humakt, that will always be your primary cult

I don't think this is necessarily true, though Humakt is the sort of cult which attracts this very sort of monomaniac to its frosty bosom. Why be a lukewarm Humakti when you could be a lukewarm Orlanthi? But I wouldn't be surprised if many Lismelder chieftains were mainly Orlanthi chaps, but also initiated into Humakt, for example.

> (since it guarantees that you will go off and join Humakt's Einherjar in the
> afterlife, and Humakt himself will come and collect you).

Any two randomly selected friendly cults will have elements of belief in an afterlife, or failing which, in _something_, which are pretty incompatible, on the face of it. How they can be reconciled, or which takes precedence, is the sort of thorny issue left best to each individual cross-worshipper's Fast Talk roll. (And he had better Critical it on Daka Fal, too...)

> So, once initaited
> into Humakt, this is the only cult you can achieve Rune Level in

I don't think this follows, even from the previous (and erroneous, in my view) assumption. Even if I'm going to Humakt's Hall when I die, or believe I am, why would this disqualify me from a position I could otherwise take up?

> although you could still become an acolyte in a
> "friendly" cult (eg Orlanth).

This, on the other hand, I think is much less likely. While Zee Roolz don't prohibit this, I don't think this would be anything other than very unusal anywhere which doesn't consider Orlanth (or whomever) a Humakti associate. Not for nothing are acolytes oftimes known as "associate priests".

> (since normally
> achievement of such status means that you lose all your status in other cults,
> reverting to lay membership)

This always struck me as an over-strict rule. It seems sensible to allow continued initiate status in any cult which the RL would be able to immediately rejoin (or would have been, barring the fact of having just left, if you follow what I mean). Otherwise, strict application of this rule would lead to silly situations such as becoming a rune lord of Polaris getting you smitten by Yelm's spirit of retribution, and unable to rejoin.

Alex.