Humakti and their Discontents

From: Eric G. Scharf <escharf_at_seattleu.edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 1995 09:22:55 -0800 (PST)

Also sprach Sandy:

> Just because Humakt didn't marry doesn't mean the Humakti don't. There's
> no recorded instance of Christ marrying, and he's a lot more central to
> the cultures worshiping him than Humakt.

        I don't think it's fair to compare a monotheist culture to a polytheist culture regarding the degrees to which one is expected to model one's life after divinity. I *might* expect this argument in defense of Malkioni that didn't do everything Malkion did (or is purported to have done), but in a society with a dozen strikingly different deities to choose from, one should see greater stereotyping. And please remember I said most, not all, Humakti.

        With regard to the Christian example, we *did* have numerous sects devoting themselves to this or that detail of Christ's life, whether it be his poverty, celibacy, etc.

> If Humakt was as screwed up and marginalized as some folks seem to feel
> -- cutting himself off forever from all his kin, going celibate, etc. I
> don't think _anyone_ would worship him. He's got to be seen in a cultural
> context as well as a mythic one.

        I have heard it said several times that Humakti are supposed to be a very small number within Sartarite society. Surely this means we will see a smaller deviation within that small number (as opposed to Eurmali, another small number, who will probably do their best to be different from each other).

        I have also heard that Humakt neither is a prosetlyzing cult nor particularly need worshippers. I should think this would lead to marginalized and "screwed-up" Sartarites making up the majority of worshippers. There are exceptions of course; in times of war otherwise "normal" Sartarites could find Humakti virtues to be useful. And those who wish to emphasize the Truth and honor aspects of Humakt wouldn't be as marginalized as those who sever all ties. But I don't think we should dilute the Humakti myth just to accomodate human frailty. As my Sword says, "If clean honor and a clean death aren't fulfilling enough for you, go join Donadar."

Peter Metcalfe is duped by the Deceiver:

> >Again, as far as I know, Humakt has never fathered a child.
>
> Arkat Humaktsson.

        This is akin to secret societies claiming deceased notables as ancestral members. I could call myself Humaktsson--it doesn't mean that the Big H slept with my mother.

End of Glorantha Digest V1 #209