Humakti (in Sartar, Carmania et al)

From: DAS SPIELMEISTER <T.J.Minas_at_soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 1995 17:38:40 +0000 (GMT)

Dropping my Concealment spell again for a moment, I venture to stick out my neck once more.

   Humakti are very definitely not outlaws in my opinion in Sartar, intimately involved as they are in swearing the rituals otahs used as trials... You might not like having one for a neighbour, and he might shirk his duty of ploughing etc, but on the other hand, he is damned handy to have around when the next village comes raiding! And, since he is now a Humakti, there won't be any awkward feuds started if he kills some of the raiding so-and-sos!

   As for the Carmanian Humakti, i would like to point out that Humakt is a very culturally adaptable cult, and was undoubtedly modified in Carmania to git their culture, resulting in highly organised units of Humakti, well-disciplined, very tough and stonkingly nasty to fight, as they have Morale, Bladesharp 4, Prot, Sever Spirit to zap enemy commanders/tough or crucial individuals etc. You wanna try pitting a bunch of standard troops against these guys? Their only disadvantage would their general lack of missile weaponry and the inability of Sword users to fight in depth, leading to a long thin line, possibly with reserve groups behind it. Of course, they might have been equipped much as Roman Legionnaries with Gladius and Shield, and gone in stabbing their way through the opposition. A Hideous thought when combined with above! Just think, a bunch of highly competent dudes in a column advancing determinedly, armoured heavily enough such that arrow fire is unlikely to deter them, wading into your lines!

   On the question of joining more than one cult, well, I still reckon that if you are an ACTIVE initiate of Humakt, you really are rather cut off from advancement in most other cults. I suppose Orlanth might let you become a Wind Lord and still be an initiate, but it is going to be a rare cult that lets you follow the God of Death with all his severe cult restrictions (probably far more telling on you than whatever other cult you have) and still claim to be more devoted to them! (Incidentally, doesn't leave a lot of time for yourself, really!)

   Enough for now.
   Concealment back up

                            Bye

                                      Tim Minas