Re: sandy's maunderings

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idpentium.idsoftware.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 95 15:16:23 -0600

Chris Francis
>Does anyone know of a source, or have opinions about, the
>intriguingly titled but lamentably passed over Cannibal Cult in RoC.

        I wrote up an "official" Cannibal cult many years back which I think may have been published in some magazine or other. In essence, the Cannibal cultists are a shamanistic organization devoted to appeasing the Hungry Ghosts,

        You see, there are spirits who are always cold, or lonely, or hungry, and can't get warm, or fed, etc. These lost, tormented souls can have dire effects upon the living, especially in a world like Glorantha. In areas that have large numbers of folks who died horribly and unjustly, the hungry ghosts tend to be correspondingly numerous. For instance: Prax. (Other centers in which this cult is known include Dorastor and Kralorela.) No doubt the mermen who live in sunken Slontos also know about this cult.

        Anyway, the Hungry Ghost shamans know the special ritual to Appease the ghosts, and make them content, having feasted on human life. To do this, you have to hold a cannial feast at which the ghosts attend. The ritual only works properly if you are eating an enemy, for only thus does the requisite emotions of hate, terror, etc. reach its peak.

        As a side effect of this, the cannibal cultists gain magic power. The more powerful the enemy was, the more power the cultists obtain. This leads to a vicious circle, in which the cult actually _likes_ acquiring powerful enemies! Which kind of limits the potential size of the cult.