(no subject)

From: Greybeard <Greybeard_at_nochet.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu Mar 20 10:05:19 1997

> Do people agree that Humakti in Orlanthi society in Sartar are outlaws?

Not in the slightest. If you examine the things that one does to make oneself an outlaw, either in what we know about Sartar or in the Icelandic Saga's, which I persist in thinking of as a valid secondary source, you always find that Outlaws are people without honour.

Tricksters are Outlaws, because they break every law they can find, and so are not given the protection of society. Gunnar in Njall's Saga is declared an Outlaw because he goes against the judgement offered by the Althing.

Humakti, if there's one thing certain about then, are NOT without honour.

I rather liked the idea from David Hall's game that Humakti were ceremonially declared to be dead.

Outlaws are the people who don't deserve protection from the law. Normally heirs would be due vengence for the death of a man, except when that man was outside the law. Humakti, being already dead, don't deserve a blood price, but for all other intents and purposes are within the law.

From: Greybeard_at_nochet.demon.co.uk (Greybeard) - later

> I think Humakti are technically outlaws. They are outside the law,
> no-one need pay weregeld for their death but also no-one is responsible
> for their actions.

I wouldn't even agree with that. They are surely responsible for their own actions. The thing to remember, especially if the Icelandic model is accepted, that killing a man isn't an evil thing to do.

You kill someone, you tell everyone, you show them where the body is, and the weapon you used to give him his woulds. Then you pay some money to the widow, so that she can support herself and her children, and thats that. (Though the widow may well use the money to hire a man to kill you, and the cycle will repeat itself.)

Now your Humakti has even less need than most to explain his actions. He can say 'I serve the Lord of Death and brought his blessing to Ivar the Short,' and be done with that. But he's still reponsible for his actions.