Humakti

From: via RadioMail <David>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 1995 18:17:32 -0800

Alex opines

>But I wouldn't be surprised if many Lismelder chieftains were mainly
>Orlanthi chaps, but also initiated into Humakt, for example.

I would, because Lismelder Humakti (well, at least it's definite for the Greydog clan) definitely sever kinship ties. If you're not kin, you're not a chieftain! No clan is going to have an outsider as chieftain.

Nick writes

>the funeral rite that 'celebrates' your admission to Sword status and
>departure from the clan

Oops, I keep forgetting that Lismelder Humakti don't sever their kinship, only Lismelder Swords do. Strike the above. Clans aren't going to want Humakti Swords as chieftains for a large number of reasons.

Peter Metcalfe claims

>But the Orlanthi *do* recognize Arkat as the son of Humakt (cf King of
>Sartar) and that's all the proof you'll ever need.

I believe many "son of" designations should be read figuratively, not literally. Arkat Humaktsson would be a Sword of Humakt. Likewise, Vingkot isn't necessarily Orlanth's biological (if that term really applies to divine offspring) son.