Humakt; Nicked; IFWW

From: Nick Brooke <100270.337_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 12 Mar 95 04:03:48 EST

Tim Minas writes about Carmanian Humakti.

The most distinctive Carmanian military force is heavy cataphract cavalry (think of the Parthians or Sassanids): the "knightly" class of Carmania, their "hazars", would fight in this way, as a striking force (think of Hellenistic warfare, with the pivotal role of Companion Cavalry: this is the "Forefront" way of fighting, where the commander himself leads the decisive charge).

The Empire also had levies from its many subjected parts: hoplites from Pelanda, light skirmishers and mercenaries from the highlands and outlands, and the Barbarian Belt to the south. So they'd have no shortage of missile troops, any more than the English army at Agincourt suffered from this. The way the rulers fight does not define the whole army.

"Humakt" in Carmania is far more a way of looking at and acting upon the world than a mere sword-worshipping cult. A few instances:

So, in my version of the History and Mythology of Carmania, you will see far more Humakt-ish ideology/philosophy than Big Swords.

Peter Metcalfe writes:

> *sigh* *sigh* *SIGH* Gregged again.

Nope: you were Nicked. Those are MY Carmanians! ALL MINE! Hahahahahaha... (Well, three-eyed Piku and Daxdarius were Greg's pre-existing part of the story, but 'twas me wot stole them for Shah Surandar's early deeds).

If you have any questions arising out of the "Fortunate Succession" bits on Carmania, please ask! I'm happy to fill out this material where I can, and to learn more where I don't yet know exactly what happened.

Joerg writes:

> Do the Orlanthi know/accept that Zzabur contributed to the salvation
> of the world?

Those Orlanthi who participate in the "I Fought, We Won" mystery/ritual heroquest know that everyone and everything non-Chaotic contributed to Glorantha's salvation. Does this make any real difference to them? Maybe not. But at the Dawning, still glowing with the warm inner feeling of goodness that resulted from IFWW and the Unity Battle (same event?), the Orlanthi were out trying to make friends with everyone...

Probably the answer to your Q. is that the Orlanthi would only recognise those participants that they recognise (if you see what I mean). Unless they knew who Zzabur was, he'd be a part of the myth's supporting cast of thousands.

> More abstract than the Solar ones? More abstract and less mythological
> than their Celestial Court? Or did you mean "Theyalan" for "theistic"?

A pox on you, Joerg: read some Celestial Court *myths*, then quibble. I was working within the Cults of Terror paradigm (in that sentence): the Western Elemental Cults and indeed Divine Cults need be little more than pro-forma acknowledgement that an entity out there is worth paying some Power in exchange for its services. Far less personal involvement than, let's say, a worshipper of UlEria would feel.

Erich writes on Mostali procreation:

Nice stuff, but (as those who know me will already have surmised) I am somewhat loth to lose the "mortar and pestle" process from Elder Secrets.

Nick