On the origins of the Malkioni

From: Alex Ferguson <alex_at_dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 95 19:29:57 GMT

Martin Crim admits to bullying poor ole Nick:
> The point Mike and I have been hammering is to avoid a
> Christian parallel to Hrestol. The reasons are many, but perhaps
> the most compelling is that the model doesn't fit with what we
> know of modern Malkionism.

Inarguably there are many differenes, but then, there are many differences in any proposed history of which I'm aware. While I agree that some of Nick's more Zealous Excesses, like wanting to nail people to things, should be Firmly Curbed, I'm not sure what specific objections Mike and Martin have, and how anything proposed couldn't have given rise to modern Malkionism.

> As Sandy has so ably pointed out, nobody can be sure they're
> going to Solace when they die, nor can anyone contact a person
> who is in Solace. Ergo, nobody can know for sure that Malkion
> and Hrestol are in Solace, tho' those are widespread beliefs.

Yes, I wondered about the flat statement to this effect myself. But whether the then onlookers had Certain Proof or not becomes an almost minor point 1.6 millenia later, since in either event, people would be confidently be asserting the reverse. So we can certainly have any or all of Martin's cults of Gnosis, Revenantist, Hrestol-Alive-And-Well- And-Living-In-Downtown-Leplain, or whatever, but equally, whatever their justification there's been plenty of time to have them Purged and Persecuted by the orthodox, if not into extinction, then down to background level. But they sound like fun to me, so be all means, let's be having 'em!

Alex.