Arkat Humaktsson

From: Peter Metcalfe, CAPE Canty <CHEN190_at_cantva.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 1995 20:23:14 +1300

David Dunham:

Peter Metcalfe claims

>>But the Orlanthi *do* recognize Arkat as the son of Humakt (cf King of
>>Sartar) and that's all the proof you'll ever need.

>I believe many "son of" designations should be read figuratively, not
>literally. Arkat Humaktsson would be a Sword of Humakt. Likewise, Vingkot
>isn't necessarily Orlanth's biological (if that term really applies to
>divine offspring) son.

I agree that calling most swords Humaktsson would be the equivalent of calling Macbeth 'Belladonna's Bridegroom' (apologies to the actors on this list for mentioning the 'Scottish Play') but Cults of Terror does make it plain that the Orlanthi believe the unnamed barbarian warrior who was Arkat's father was Humakt himself.

And another thing: Arkat was the baddest dude this side of the Godswar and you expect the skalds to think that his claim to descent from Humakt was poetic licence?