Lhankor Mhy

From: Peter Metcalfe, CAPE Canty <CHEN190_at_cantva.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 1995 12:26:34 +1300

Erik Sieurin:

asks on Lhankor Mhy Sages whose initiates are required to be loremasters:

>Personally I like knowledge skills, but I also like skills that sort
>of ties in with a real-world area.

>I feel that abstract knowledge is very rare in pre-industrial
>societies and usually divided in a different way from our divisions
>of today. Cf the "seven liberal arts" and the subjects of modern
>university courses.

Most Lhankor Mhy initates in a rural context would have Lawspeaking. Urban ones are different. I think the theoretical division of lores actually varies from LM Temple to LM Temple (like Boldhome, Bagnot and Nochet). How to put this into easy MGF terms is a problem I'd admit.

>By this we reaches the final(?) question: What about the relations to
>Irippi Ontor in these areas? What are IO Sages' ideas about the
>matter? I know that there is no "classification system" for LM
>libraries; what about IO libraries?

Irippi Ontor has been heavily influenced by Solar and Carmanian Ideas. A 'Red Sage' may resemble a Magi more than the Theyalan Grey Sage.

>And yes, I know that there are factions within the LM community who
>holds different views. But what are then the views on these topics of
>the various factions? Which factions are there, by the way?

The Lhankor Mhy Factions that were described in Cults of Prax were mainly political. IIRC, there are the Old Sages who had lived there since the time of Pavis. They feel they should have all the posts since they were there the longest as opposed to all the newbies. The next are the Sartarites who had migrated with Duke Dorasar and later refugees. They seek to subvert the lunar occupation of Pavis and other Free Sartar Ideas. There were the Lunars (whether they were Tarshite LM Grey Sages or actual Irippi Ontor Red Sages is something that was not made clear - although IO is worshipped in the same temple, I don't see him as LM + Mindblast). They seek to find out everything about Pavis for the Glory of the Empire. And the last are the Holy Country Sages who professed disdain for all this politics. Every other faction hates them cause they're nothing but rich prats.

In other temples, the disputes and factions tend to be somewhat different. There is reported to be a dispute that is actually philosophical in basis in one of the myriad LM temples World Wide, but I find this hard to credit.