Texts of the Nick-Learners.

From: Alex Ferguson <alex_at_dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 95 23:21:25 GMT

Nick Brooke notes that:
> Alex wrote:
> > So at one point, one has orthodox Brithini; "pure" Malkioni;
> > Hrestolised Malkioni; and (a probably small number of) straight
> > Brithini to Hrestolism converts. Yet more fun.

> Yep: sounds good to me! Of course, Hrestolism *includes* Malkionism (i.e.
> Hrestol nowhere chucks away the Laws, etc: he just adds an extra layer of
> interpretation to them: look to God's Will rather than the letter of the Law).

Yes, that's how the Hrestolists would look at it; but at least initially, there would almost certainly be traditionalist Malkioni who ignored the Hrestolism movement, or gaily condemned as heresy, apostacy, blah blah blah.

It's almost a pity that there aren't any surviving Old Malkioni left (to stir things up (even more) at Councils, etc), as evidence of this second oldest schism. But doubtless the complaints would start rolling in about Bogus Hebraic Analogies.

Sandy writes of a generally accepted Book of Malkion, Nick reckons this for from his pre-prophet phase.

I agree, but you'd think that his "new" followers would rush out a sequal, even if he didn't do so himself. Doubtless not itself a book of Law, but an Acts of Malkion, or a Letters to the Stuck-up Brithini, or whatever.

> God Learner selection/compilation vs. God Learner translation: whichever makes
> you happier! I'll stick to my guns, but without any conviction that there's a
> significant difference.

If this is in reference to my comment (quotes come in two quantities: too much, and too little), let me clarify that I agree they mainly "selected and compiled", reserving the sheer invention for where it was _really needed_.

> Jrusteli God Learning was always a whittling-down process, though,
> so I imagine the same instincts to have been at work when they
> "did over" their own religion.

Not true. They synthesised the C&A cult, constructed Grandfather Mortal, etc.

Alex.

End of Glorantha Digest V1 #215