Re: maunderings of Sandyman

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idpentium.idsoftware.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 95 11:27:58 -0600

Eric Scharf:
>If to have one's laborious extrapolation and inspiration arbitrarily
>revised or contradicted is to be "Gregged," then is to argue and
>have one's position co-opted and presented as one's opponent's
>argument to be "Sandied"?

        I lost track in here somewhere.

Warrior
>I must say that the kin severing, the ritual death makes playing a

>Humakti much more of a drastic choice, and one which in a society
>based campaign would make players think hard about the cult, offset
>it's rather attractive appeal as a death machine character cult.

        Wow. It's always been an unattractive cult in all my campaigns. Never more than two players were Humakti, usually one or none. But I don't institute any sort of ritual death or drastic choice. Your campaign must be very different than mine, or else your players are.

Lunar File Length

        I think that because of the monitors, the 7-man "file" is quite common in the Lunar army, as close to standardization as makes little difference. However, I don't think they follow a 7x7 or 7x7x7 rule. Only the files are a length of 7. I also think that the comparison of the 7 men in the file to the 7 mothers is an after-the-fact rationalization.

        Because of the need for monitors to be near their assigned men, I think that the Lunar hoplites are forced to be more rigid in file length than the ancient Greeks. If they form a line with 12-man files, then the monitors get all screwed up. 7 or 14 would be easy enough to manage. And perhaps they can get by with 10-man files, since this results in two 7-man files in front, with two 3-man files behind, and the monitor behind _that_ to cast spells on his two 3-man files. So it's not really a 10 man file, but a 10.5 man file.

        Other multiples are probably hard for the hoplites to handle. None of this would apply to peltasts or cavalry, but the 7-man "file" (even through peltasts don't fight in files) may still be convenient.