Hexes in the Army

From: White, Adrian <awhite_at_intera.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 95 17:55:51 GMT

Sandy replying to James Polk (digest 213), about the Hex formation,

>It would be effective under certain limited circumstances. If
>the unit was not under attack, it would be a convenient formation for quick
>healing, casting spells, etc. If the unit was of peltasts, and was being
>swarmed by light cavalry (which must have happened reasonably frequently in
>the Pent wars), it would be a good way to protect your soldiers at the cost of
>mobility.

The hex formation could be used by Hoplite units for similar reasons. A hoplite regiment formed in hexes with a spears length between each hex" could have up to 5 or 6 times the frontage of a unit in columns of files. If depth was required, they could have a second row of hexes, say 10 foot back, which would create a formation with more depth and length than a Phalanx in the standard formation.

If a lunar army was about to be attacked by a mass of pentian light cavalry, the hoplites could use this extra frontage and depth to create a wall around the magic units that they are protecting. The gaps between the hexes would allow pelasts and light cavalry to withdraw behind the hoplites when they were threatened with encirclement, but wouldn't be big enough for the pentian's to get through without fighting. If any got through the first line they would be trapped between two "inward" facing lines of hoplites.

Of course this formation is largely defensive and immobile. It would need to be adopted before battle was joined. The thought of a Phalanx converting from columns of files into hexes while within range of an enemy charge makes me shudder.

Adrian