God Forgot

From: ian (i.) gorlick <"ian>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1995 12:00:00 -0500

Nick Brooke:
Actually this time it was Ian not Alison who was writing about God Forgot. (We've got to get separate access to the Internet some day, this gets too confusing.)

It sounds like you've got some more material about the islands. Like a map with names and places like Tosk, Tang, and Thoxos. Any chance of getting a peek at this?

Your development is much more despairing and unpleasant than mine. They could be functionally very similiar, but in your system the Forgotten will be miserable and hopeless, while in mine they will be comforted and hopeful. I'm inclined to be generous to the poor sods and let them live in my version. For one thing, I have a hard time accepting that people will continue to support such a negative world view for a very long time. (I'm sure you can provide some examples of when some cultures have.) I see the Forgotten as a fairly innovative people, willing to try new things. (Example: Leonardo is allowed to keep working instead of being burned as a threat to stable society.) So I would expect that if their religion did not work well for them, they would be inclined to modify it.

I agree that they are xenophobic. Their history gives them good reason to distrust outsiders. So they may be very slow to adopt ideas from outside, now. But they are probably fairly willing to look at new ideas that are home-grown.