Re: MAUNDERINGS

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idpentium.idsoftware.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 95 15:53:41 -0600

>I suspect that armor and weapons are way too common in most RQ

>campaigns.

Eric Rowe
>I assume you mean RQ campaigns set in charlemagne's time?

        See here, wiseacre. It's known that hoplite armor was a major cost for the ancient Athenians, and that only scions from wealthy families, or from families that _used_ to be wealthy would have this stuff. And it's well-known that a suit of knightly armor cost a fortune, which is why only nobles had the stuff.

        All over ancient Europe and elsewhere, armor and weapons was high-priced gear. It's not just a matter of technology. Charlemagne's ironworking technology was perfectly good, and he had all the access to iron that anyone could want. The problem is that making the armor requires a skilled professional and a great deal of time. This was the case from ancient Rome on up to the present day.

Peter Metcalfe
>Enmal Mountains? Where are they? The only major mountain ranges
>that I know of in Pamaltela are the Tarmo, Palakri and the Mari
>Mountains and beyond Jolar is the Sea of Fire (which looks flat in
>the RQII map of Glorantha.

        There are four mountain ranges in Pamaltela. The Enmal mountains are _south_ of the Nargan Desert. Further south, the ground flattens out again into the Boiling Swamp, and then south of that is the Sea of Fire. The RQ2 map of Glorantha lies.

        The Enmal Mountains are the Sacred Mountains of Pamaltela. The Gods live there -- Pamalt, Aleshmara, Lodril, and so forth.