RE: Sandy on Armour

From: Aden Steinke <Aden_Steinke_at_uow.edu.au>
Date: 28 Mar 1995 10:56:50 +1000

Hi All

Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idpentium.idsoftware.com> commented that

>All over ancient Europe and elsewhere, armor and weapons was
>high-priced gear. It's not just a matter of technology. Charlemagne's
>ironworking technology was perfectly good, and he had all the access
>to iron that anyone could want. The problem is that making the armor
>requires a skilled professional and a great deal of time. This was
>the case from ancient Rome on up to the present day.

Historically it seems that availability of armour and weapons varied greatly across cultures. The Swedish Dalarna levy of the middle ages is an example of a peasant (though possiblely yeoman is the better term) levy well armed and armoured, as they had access/ownership of iron mines. Likewise in earlier viking times armour and weapons were relatively common in the posession of non 'Soldiers' as the stock increased over time (a byrnie properly maintained should last many years, and a good sword could do likewise, and pillage is always a good boost to stocks).

What the 'civilised' countries had was the ability to create armies worth of equipment in a short period of time by mobilising their economies (though even the Romans were reduced to using captured Gallic weaponry to arm a scratch legion in the Hanibalic war, demonstrating that in the ancient world arms were a commodity to keep, not melted down like surplus or outmoded tanks). Armour that takes months of blacksmithing to make (or many man years) is a historical rarity, but could do service for more years than it takes to create.

Anyway, my point (which I have wandered away from I admit :] ) is that given the ready availability of the repair spell, which increases equipment longevity, in addition to actual redsmiths etc that give historical longevity, there is no reason that there not be vast quantities of arms and armour floating around in Glorantha, it is being constantly produced, occasionally in great quantities as Empires go to war on each other, and can survive for many years. A 50 year old sword that has not seen heavy service is as functional as a 2 day old sword (as long as you refurbish the perishable bits such as the hilt wrapings).

One of my personal hobbies is the collection of edged weapons, I have a 500 year old Javanese Kris that would be quite functional if called upon today (with new wooden hilt and scabard), and a 300 year old Indian punch dagger whose steel is nearly as perfect now as when it was forged (sadly the gold inlay in the grip is shot :( ).

Imagine the world of the ancient Greek or Roman citizen hoplite with repair spells. Or, is the scimitar the Kalashnikov of Glorantha, with export stocks and surplus stocks after campaigns washing through the arms bazars of the world :).

Aden