Army formations

From: R.A.Nicholls <R.A.Nicholls_at_sheffield.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 1995 14:10:52 +0000

I forget where I read this and when exactly it happened, but once a Gallic army was outmanoeuvred by two Roman armies and caught between them. The Gauls decided to form up on the best defensive ground available in two lines back to back, each line composed of two ranks of warriors. They also set up a tremondous noise cheering and clashing swords and spears on shields.

The Roman soldier, later historian who recorded this was full of admiration for the Gauls who were very disciplined and no matter which way the Romans attacked they had two ranks facing them. Of course the Gauls couldn't manoeuvre and were finally beaten but the Roman historian was still full of respect for them. This isn't directly relevant to talk of Lunar army versus Dara Happan army file length and is an extreme situation but might be of interest in wondering how their "barbaran" enemies face them.

Rob