Perfe sorcerer

From: Klaus Ole Kristiansen <klaus_at_diku.dk>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 1995 09:25:45 +0200

From: Nick Brooke <100270.337_at_compuserve.com>:

>What about Perfe? Don't go there! Nowadays, most guys you'd meet worship "one
>hundred different gods of war".

See below

>What about Sog City? Read our SCU Guidebook's "Lonely Lozenge Guide to Sog City"
>(by myself and MOB), and weep! Then, if dissatisfied, challenge our assumptions
>and puns here on the Daily...

There is a lot of "semi-published" stuff out there. Is there some easy way to get hold of it? Preferably a large bundle at once, since international transfer of money is quite expensive.

Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idpentium.idsoftware.com>:

>>There was some talk on this list some time ago about sorcerous
>>resurection. How about sorcerous stat repair? If it is impossible,
>>Malkionism is manifestly inferior to other religions.

> Really? Mightn't I argue: "How about long-duration spells
>maintained on other persons, damage boost, magic resistance, and so
>forth? Since theists can't do this, Theism is manifestly inferior to
>other religions. Why, their spells rarely persist more than a quarter
>of an hour!"

OK, each approach has its strengths and weaknesses.

> "Don't worry, my son. You may have lost some STR from that
>horrible disease spirit before I could Dominate it out of you, but a
>nice Enhance STR spell maintained for the rest of your life [at a
>small fee], and you'll be good as gold."

STR is not a problem anyway, as it is trainable. There is no Enhance INT.

What I have in mind is this: the PCs are all from Perfe. As luck (and the GM) would have it, they are all in Riverjoin when Perfe is overrun. Two are apprentises of the same sorcerer. Some time after the defeat, the master calls for his apprentises. Their first adventure is finding him. When they find him, he is down quite a few points of INT due to Tap spells. He also knows no spells, since his matrices were taken from him, but he has very high skills, both in spells and the generic sorcery skills.

So he need to convince some Chalana Arroy priests to use their precious POW on him. He can offer POW in return, of course. CAs would find binding enchantments and MP matrixes just as useful as anybody else. But a point of generic sorcerer POW is not as waluable as a point of CA high healer POW. So he'll need something to bargain with. This will lead to more adventures for his apprentices. (He can of course also offer service. Enhance CON is very useful in a hospital.)

Is there a Deezola writeup anywhere? I assume she has Restore INT.

On second thought, I don't think sorcerous stat restoration would be a good idea. It would cheapen Tap.

Klaus O K