Enlightened and Unenlightened Dead Kralori.

From: Alex Ferguson <alex_at_dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 95 19:37:14 BST

Sez Sandy, in reply to me:
> I said that the Kralori think that bad people recycle and good ones
> go to Vithela.

> >I'd be happier about this were it not for the rider than being
> >"good" in this sense was the norm.

> Not me. I picture the Kralori as being smug as all get-out.

Fine by me, but why does this require that most of them get to Vithela on their first try? A knowledge that they'll get there eventually (with a bit of luck, before the next busload leaves with the next Emperor to kick it) is reason enough to be smug, especially in comparison with Miserable Benighted Foreigners and Evil People who aren't going to get there, ever.

Nils Weinander, the Man with No 'Aitch (though with a W, which isn't supposed to be a Swedish letter. But then, Gaelic isn't supposed to have a H, and proceeds to have six of them in every word):

> My theory is that this is the beauty of the afterlife system devised
> by Thalurzni: you don't have to be particularly good to get the benefits,
> you just have to follow the rules and avoid being bad.

It probably isn't a matter of being good or bad as such, but of reaching the Correct Mystical State.

> There's a Sky culture under the draconic stuff in Kralorela.

Well, I know they're one of the Speckled areas in GoG, and I've heard assorted theories about the relationship between Kralorela and other Solar areas, but it doesn't amount to much, to date. My personal suspicion is that there's not different "layers" of distinct cultures, a la Peloria, but that sun worship just happens to figure as an aspect of Kralori mysticism.

> I'd say the solar heaven is a lot
> tougher to get to, but once you succeed you get there right away. All
> in all, you win some, you loose some.

I don't think there is a different Solar heaven, rather I think the reincarnation schtick is how solar beliefs are manifest in the current setup. A strong cyclical element also fits in with the draconic theme, though. The Sandy/Nils scheme seems only tokenly cyclical to me, and not all that different from Bog Standard Theistic Stuff.

Alex.