Economic model for small estate or stead

From: PAUL POFANDT <ppofandt_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 95 09:00:06 +1000

Has anyone seen or developed an economic model for a small estate? My players have just inherited a small run-down fortified mansion and have plans to make it a working proposition.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to handle this? I've noticed that the Risklands scenarios have simple mechanics, but they're only along the lines of Doing Badly/Doing OK/Doing Well. The gamemasters guide has details on "cost of living" which can be used as a basis of consumption costs.

What I'm after is suggestions on:

    How much food will each person consume?     How much food can a farmer produce?
    What skill divisions are needed (Artisian/Farmer/Herder/Labourer)?     How does crop enhancing magic affect these figures?     How much attention does each crop/herd require in a given season?     How much grain/meat is surplus?

Any suggestions welcome.

Catch Ya.

    Paul.