More on arms

From: tonry edward s <c60est1_at_corn.cso.niu.edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 23:02:22 -0500 (CDT)

Aden continues to wonder why arms need so much protection. He's right that if the chance of hitting an arm in RQ was lower, arms would be safer with less armor. Until that rule is changed, though, there is every incentive to protect one's arms.

As for shields and weapons offering passive protection, this is really rather limited. For one thing, as a fighter tires, his guard drops ever so slightly, but just enough to allow a shot at an arm (or head). Then there are the tricks that good fighters use to make their opponents parry to the wrong location. Keep whacking at the head until the guy keeps his shield higher than normal, then hit him in his exposed ribs. Pound on his legs until his shield is drooping a bit, then hit him in the head. And if you miss his head you might get his arm. I've probably lost my arms more often from downward slashing shots at my head that missed and got my shoulder.

SCA fighting is not 100% accurate, but it's a good enough approximation that I can say this: putting in all the tricks, feints and moves that actually happen in combat would make RQ combat totally unplayable. The tables may not be perfect, but they do make for a workable game. And isn't that what we're here for?

Ed Tonry