Bows

From: Colin Watson <watson_at_csd.abdn.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 1995 11:08:45 +0100

Sandy:
> LONGBOWS IN GLORANTHA
> I believe that the classic longbow is found in only two
> regions in all Glorantha: Fronela, and Umathela. In Peloria, Maniria,
> and Kralorela, the influence of the composite bow (from Pent and
> Prax) I feel would be paramount.

In the real-world the division of long-bows/comp-bows was along climatic lines. Longbows were made of yew which has a remarkable capacity for storing strain energy at temperatures below 35 degrees C. At higher temperatures the bow's performance goes right down the toilet. Hence, you didn't find many longbowmen around the Mediterranean. (Incidentally, most yew for "English" bows was imported from Spain; all Spanish wine had to include a duty of bow-staves).

Composite bows, on the other hand, are susceptible to damp. It makes the adhesive come unstuck and they fall apart. Hence they weren't used in northern climes much.

I guess neither type would be much good in a jungle.

Perhaps in Glorantha there is a type of wood like yew but with higher tolerance for heat? Or superior damp-proof glue? Or enchantments to solve these problems?

> Crossbows don't take a lifetime of training to use,

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that in Olden Days it was difficult to train troops to use crossbows. In our "pull-the-trigger" culture this may seem unusual, but apparently normal bows were simpler and easier to understand. This struck me at the time 'cos it conflicts with RQ's opinion of basic skill chances for these weapons.

___
CW.