Re: Glorantha Digest V1 #240

From: Styopa <liebx004_at_maroon.tc.umn.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 95 22:57:55 CST

>Here's a good question that I don't have a ready answer to: during what
>period of history did pike & spear dominant solid infantry forms face shield
>& 1 handed weapon dominant infantry? The closest I can think of is Rome vs.
>late Greece.
>And we know how that went.
>
>Mike

I might add you could also consider the later 15th C. - mid 16thC era; you had the pike & shot forces, which in melee were not unlike the pike phalanx, vs "Swordsmen" which were frequently what we today would call assualt troops & positively devastating against the Pike squares, when they could get close without suffering the shot. (It's a long winded way of saying I agree, without getting lynched, per the rules, above.) :)

Steve Lieb
liebx004_at_maroon.tc.umn.edu
Cologne, MN

....still looking for that killer .sig