Daily chores within a temple

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_sartar.toppoint.de>
Date: Thu Mar 20 10:05:21 1997

I wonder how the everyday life of a temple resident looks like in Glorantha. This has come up both as character background for an apprentice sorcerer PC of a henotheist sect and as preparation for our freeform game Heroes of Wisdom set in the Jonstown Lhankor Mhy library (and possibly parallely in the Lunar temple/headquarters).

I'm especially interested in the communal activities - daily services, lectures to the entire community.

I know some people are going to howl about this, but in my mind the daily routine of Lhankor Mhy sages has a lot in common with that of the Benedictine monks as shown in "The Name of the Rose", or that of Ibn Sina's (Avicenna's) activities in the Medresse. I.e. common breakfast around dawn, with some staff member reading out or reciting lore. (Not necessarily religious stuff - with a community of rabid knowledge-seekers any topic of interest to the lecturer or a honoured guest is likely to be read out. "Drat, Temertain is around, not again Brithini iron statuary!") Afterwards the regular work gets done - classes are held, sheepskin is scraped, documents are copied, magical items get analyzed, etc.

When do Kethaelans and Sartarites eat lunch/dinner?

I supose that a (greater) communal service to the Lord of Knowledge is held at dusk, after the work for knowledge has been done mostly. The time afterwards might be reserved for research or scholarly discussion.

Opinions? Ideas?