Gloranthan Astronomy

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_cantva.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 1995 10:30:42 +1300

Alex:

>that The Present Author, who
>has been quiet for a variety of reasons,

<*choke!*> QUIET?!? Oh yes, I see, on the Glorantha digest...

>the "Official" Pelorian name for Mastakos is Uleria.

Drat. Here was me thinking 'Falsoretus'...<grumbles>

>I still hold out some small hope
>that my own pet theory, that it/they is/are named Zaytenaras and
>Ghelotalas, is the association used by "arch-conservative" Dara Happans
>who don't like the idea of the Goddess of Lewdness being in the sky the
>whole time.

I think one of the reasons why the Uleria the Planet is seen as Lewd is because She is in the Sky the whole time. Also the Dara Happans believe that Change=Disorder under normal circumstances so given that the planet normally represents motion in everybody's eyes, it is not really suprising that the Dara Happans equate her with Uleria the Goddess of Disorder.

>I may release some of my other astronomical speculations
>here if I get too bored waiting for them to be Gregged and/or Nicked.

Please do.

>An obvious question is: who calls Moskalf Moskalf, anyway?

Probably the West and/or the Theyalan Grey Sages. The Elder Secrets Night Sky written from the viewpoint of the God Learners so I think that their teachings would live on (in a purified form) in these two cultures.