Masters of Luck and Death

From: David Cheng <drcheng_at_stern.nyu.edu>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 95 0:57:52 EDT

My buddy Charles Morehouse, who is not at all wired, is the creator of the MoLaD game Robert MacArthur asks about in Digest #249.

Charles did most of the work sometime before 1988. We, his gaming group up in Albany NY, agreed it was a very good game. It then sat on a shelf for a long time.

I brought it to England for Convusion of a Trillion Tentacles - 1992. It was well accepted. Charles was present at RuneQuest-Con 1994, and ran it there. I ran another poorly-organized session at Convulsion 1994.

Charles designed MoLaD mainly to be a game to teach people more about the myths of Glorantha, or at least about the myths of the peoples of the Holy Country. Each of the six major cultures is represented (Caladraland, Esrolia, Shadow Plateau, Merpeople, Heortland & God Forgot).

The game is in no way compatible with WB&RM/Dragon Pass or Nomad Gods, at least as it's currently set up. Combat is very simplistic, and not really all that important in the game. The real focus is having your heroquester learn rituals, perform rituals, and gain the benefits (and potential losses) of performing the rituals. These benefits include gaining allies, gaining magical abilities, and increasing in magical power.

The game is not available in any form for distribution. The rules are not even written out formally. There are only two full playtest copies in existence. A bunch of people have copies of the lists of rituals. However, you'd have to really kiss my ass good to motivate me to go to the effort of sending this out to anyone. Not to sound _too_ crass or anything, but I fear that if I offered, I'd get dozens of requests, which I just don't have the time or enthusiasm to deal with. Sorry.

There has not been any serious development of the game for well over a year now. I've spoken to Charles about it now and then, and he doesn't express a lot of interest in working to make it more publication-ready. If I had the time, I'd probably work to write up a full text version of the rules, but I don't have the time.

That's the deal,
- -DC