Re: Carmanian stuff

From: Loren Miller <Loren.Miller_at_marketing.wharton.upenn.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 1995 13:36:06 EST

Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_cantva.canterbury.ac.nz> tries to retcon with a hypothesis about the Pearl Throne sitting somewhere in Carmania and serving as a measure of legitimacy for the Lunar Emperor(s), but I'm afraid it wouldn't also be the same throne that the Satrap of Bindle sits on every day. Think about it, wouldn't the Satrap of Bindle soon be proved Emperor?

Here's my counter-proposal.

The Pearl Throne of the Lunar Empire sits in XXXXX (anywhere that Seleris never visited, either God's Rock, Castle Blue, the Moon, or ???). This throne was carved from a single pearl nearly 4 meters in diameter and every legitimate Red Emperor has been confirmed his mother's son here.

The Pearl Throne of Bindle sits in the Satrap's qasir on the cliffs above Harandash. This throne was carved from ivory planking, decorated with gold and brass, encrusted with pearls, and sits before the opened halves of a giant fresh-water clam (3 meters high, about 2.3 meters wide per half) wrested in ages past from the waters of the Sweet Sea.

>The title 'Governer _of_the_Western_Reaches_' kind of catches in my
>throat as the Carmanian name for the Governer because it effectively
>acknowledges that the Carmania is some two-bit dumpsville in the
>wops-wops as opposed to being the centre of the Universe like Dara
>Happa.

Right. So that's what you were getting at! "Governor of the Ancient Land of Carmania" makes me happy.

End of Glorantha Digest V1 #252