pearl throne & governor

From: Harald Smith (617) 724-9843 <"Harald>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 1995 07:32:00 -0500 (EST)

  My main quibble with this is that Argrath is claimed to be the first to   come up with this idea (in DP). His ability to organize an array of   shaman, witches, etc. in a coherent group proved to be effective in   combating the Lunar magical regiments.

  If you think about the pre-Sheng Lunar Empire, there is almost no   experience with shamanic groups. DH is highly ritualized priestly magic   (not even rune magic according to Greg at RQ2). Carmania is sorcery.   The southern provinces are barbarian with a focus on rune magic.

  So in comes Sheng with hordes of shamans. In the original Nomad Gods   game, the shaman not only had fetches that they could send out, but they   could contact and control other spirits, they could summon ancestral   spirits, and they had more exotic abilities like summoning the soul wind   or causing the powerful spirits to unleash their greater powers (some of   these were listed in supplemental rules in WF, but all seem reasonable).   Sheng as an extremely powerful heroquester/demigod undoubtedly tapped   stronger abilities for his shamans. Perhaps they could conquer the   whole classes of spirits (wolf spirits perhaps) and send those spirits   racing off the spirit plane against the Lunar populace. The Lunars were   defenseless against this onslaught of spirit magics until they learned   in turn how to manipulate the spirit magics.

>The Pearl Throne of Bindle sits in the Satrap's qasir on the cliffs
  above Harandash. This throne was carved from ivory planking,   decorated with gold and brass, encrusted with pearls, and sits before   the opened halves of a giant fresh-water clam (3 meters high, about   2.3 meters wide per half) wrested in ages past from the waters of the   Sweet Sea.

  I like this description.

  Peter M.?>The title 'Governer _of_the_Western_Reaches_' kind of catches   in my throat as the Carmanian name for the Governer
> "Governor of the Ancient Land of Carmania" makes me happy.

  Why not use the exalted Carmanian title of 'Shah'? That seems to be the   true Carmanian ruler's title.

  Harald

End of Glorantha Digest V1 #253