carmanian governor

From: Loren Miller <Loren.Miller_at_marketing.wharton.upenn.edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 1995 12:54:38 EST

"Harald Smith (617) 724-9843" <SMITHH_at_A1.MGH.HARVARD.EDU> writes, in response to

Peter M: "The title 'Governer _of_the_Western_Reaches_' kind of catches in my throat as the Carmanian name for the Governer"

Loren M: "Governor of the Ancient Land of Carmania" makes me happy.

>Why not use the exalted Carmanian title of 'Shah'? That seems to
>be the true Carmanian ruler's title.

I believe that Carmanians actually call the Red Emperor the "Lunar Shah" and might call the governor the Shah's Deputy or Proctor or Bailiff or Sheriff or something along those lines. This is unofficial though, and when Nick returns he might object strenuously.

And in any case, Palamtales could never be the shah. Vonkal Zlotny, under-proctor to Her Grace Yolanela, explains why:

What? Name a common-born foreigner "Shah"? Soon, sir, you will be suggesting that I entrust my caravan to a guide who is blind, deaf, and dumb!? Why I never heard of such a ridiculous suggestion. It's bad enough that we, the most ancient and noblest lineages of the Lunar empire, have a foreign governor to tell us what we can and cannot do without mocking our traditions and giving a commoner the Divinely mandated title of Shah.