Systemless & the ol' Kralorelans

From: Nils Weinander <niwe_at_ppvku.ericsson.se>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 95 09:16:03 +0200

John Hughes: (again difficult to quote, since everything holds together>
>I hoped that I'd
>made a couple of points clear. (maybe I didn't - it WAS a long post :-)).

And I wrote a _very_ terse post, sorry for that.

>'because I state that
>systemless approaches emphasise X, I'm not implying that other styles
>don't emphasise X' (that's a real quote)

I missed that, sorry again.

>Beyond that, its up to you. if you find any technique useful, then use it.
>If not, then chuck it in the back cupboard.

There I agree completely. I never meant to rack down on the 'systemless' gaming. However, it doesn't really work for me. This far I have seen nothing that can give the same participation and sense of wonder that plain standard roleplaying with papers and pencils and dice does. However, I have frequently been shown to be dead wrong on many issues, so I'll keep an open mind.

>I raised systemless gaming only because it had been attacked on the
>Digest in a fairly caricatured and negative way.

What I read in that post was that someone else (don't remember who) like me felt that systemless didn't work for him or her, not an attack on the form as such.

So, apologies for the bulldozing.

Kralorela:

Peter M:
>How about Daruda was clearly Emperor

>but the 'Wicked Ministers' refused to acknowlege his rule or obey his
>commands. So Daruda goes to the Mover of Heavens and gains the Draconic
Secrets from him and raises an army of followers/disciples

Sounds really plausible. Now these Wicked Ministers may of course have not really so wicked. What about that they were just conservative solar priests who didn't approve of Daruda's innovative ways?

>Unfortunately his perusual of Draconic Secrets have lead him unable to
>have Children so at his Passing On, the 'Wicked Ministers' (who come out
>of the Civil Service like maggots out of dead meat) ressurect the rule
>by Council and rule Kralorela until Thalurzni (who seems like an
>outsider - perhaps he's the only one) comes to power.

I still don't buy the 'rule by council', but I'm very interested to hear why you think Thalurzni was a foreigner. He certainly was an innovator on the same scale as Daruda. The creation of a new afterlife is at least as big and profound a change as the incorporation of draconic beliefs.

Me:
>In fact, I think rather that Aptanace is
>a backwards projection of typical Kralorelan values

Peter:
>You don't make people up out of whole cloth. You seize upon somebody who
>is little known but much respected and pretend to find some new stuff
>about him.

But isn't Aptanace a philosophical age figure? I don't see him as a real person at all, just a symbol, like Wild Man and the others from that age. (And the god learners did make up _gods_ out of whole cloth).

>Certainly this is plausible for Shavaya who brings about the
>Empire of Splendor and names Metsyla(!) and Aether as predecessors.

And I maintain that Aether, Yelm and Metsyla _are_ the predecessors of Shavaya. It might not serve 'realism' that the empire is descended from the mighty sun god who once ruled he universe, but it serves my MGF.

The Edda:

John Hughes:
>Havamal is both marvellous
>poetry and a fascinating insight into the cruel, stoic and treacherous
>world of the Norwegian Vikings. Must-read stuff for anyone running
>Orlanthi.

Definitely! I'm not sure of the source of the following, but it is old norse. The translation from swedish to english is my own and thus lousy:

	Cattle die
	Kinfolk die
	You will die too
	One thing I know that never dies