shahs & heroes

From: Harald Smith (617) 724-9843 <"Harald>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 1995 08:38:00 -0500 (EST)

       And since Loren invokes the Taloned Countess against me, it looks like
       I must scramble to produce an alternative to avoid the curse.
       Therefore, I will suggest that Palamtales is the Bey of the Western
       Reaches (and that this title is also used for Appius Luxius in the
       Southern Provinces).

       -Sandy comments on the Lunar army and heroes

>They had to beat forces as diverse as Jannisor, Dara Happa, Carmania,
Pent and Prax nomads, the Holy Country, etc. etc. It's interesting that the nomads gave the Lunars the most trouble, though, because nomads historically have given civilized professional militaries the most trouble. I would note here that the Lunar army was notable crushed at least twice by Jannisor and his allies and that the Red Emperor only won at Glamour through treachery. But Jannisor's allies included Dara Happans, southern provincials, Sable riders, elves, and at least one other group (Char-un?), so the unification of such divergent groups may have proven difficult for the Lunars to deal with. Of course, the Red Emperor uses a similar technique of treachery to lure Sheng into a trap.
>the entirety of Lunar Herodom as displayed in Dragon Pass
There was always an implication in Dragon Pass that only part of the Lunar army was represented--that others remained guarding the eastern borders or the western reaches or just stabilizing/suppressing unruly subjects. I've always assumed that there were perhaps two (or maybe three) other Lunar heroes lurking on these fringes. The Genertela Book mentions Great Sister (a demigod that I would equate to a hero). King of Sartar mentions Inandata? Dottersdaughter who goes to fight with Kalikos against the sons of Valind. I suspect she qualifies as a heroquester if not fully a hero.
>they certainly don't seem to produce heroes "regularly" nor " in
quantity" Not that have been named in materials to date, though most of the Lunar gods/goddesses are former heroes. Thus, a whole group in the Zero to early First Wane (Yanafal, Deezola, etc), more by the mid to late First Wane (Etyries?, Twin Stars). These are the ones who covered great parts of the Empire. Since many heroes are local, I suspect there are more than we realize. However, I do agree with you that the Lunars do not typically raise kids to be heroes from age 10--the groups that WOULD do this would be, I think, the Full Moon Corps and perhaps some other exclusive groups. I would note in regard to the Eel-ariash clan that their name has a remarkable similarity to one of the six Portions of Yelm: BernEel Arashagern. If they are indeed inheritors of this portion, than breeding would be one of their methods of producing heroes since BernEel represents Yelm's sexuality. Harald ------------------------------