Wyters & magical units (once again...)

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_sartar.toppoint.de>
Date: Thu Mar 20 10:05:22 1997

Peter Metcalfe makes me comment on one of my pet theories:
>>>Each regiment would have a
>>>guardian spirit - a sort of regimental godlet - that would help glue the
>>>unit together as a unit.

(I couldn't help and wonder how this would go along with the idea of all the unit's members being of equal skill levels, and how to introduce replacements or deal with fast learners?)

>> According to KoS, it's this regimental godlet/wyter aspect that seems to be >>what Argrath taught to the Sartarites, not just that for magician units.

> I'm sorry? The one of the units involved are the Eaglebrown warlocks
> which is a magician unit in KoS.

According to the sources, Argrath's introduction produced magically exceptionally coordinated units. Looking at the DP boardgame, that includes his Praxian bands (Sword Brothers, Bollocks, Twin Spears) which can defeat a whole Lunar magician regiment's attacking spirit on most days.

> There is evidence of groups having
> their own wyter among the Sartarites before Argrath.

Like the Colymar militia. But unlike Argrath's new units they did not make an active use of their wyter. IMO!

> One of these
> were the Night Jumpers who were around since the time of Tarkalor.

Their wyter would work differently from Lunar and Sartar MU units, too, since it would cause just one special ("exotic") effect, not an attacking and defending spirit. IMO in DP scale they have no range value, and cannot counterattack vs spirits.