Re: Glorantha Digest

From: mr happy <ajbehan_at_alf2.tcd.ie>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 1995 12:23:49 +0100 (BST)

In an article in #250 Jim, jed_at_dcs.ed.ac.uk says:

> In RQA4 it mentions David Hall etc working on a Glorantha system based on
> Pendragon to be released by Chaosium. However, we have the semi-official word
> from the boys at Avalon Hill that RQ4 will be released soon with a companion
> volume Adventures in Glorantha.
> Has the Chaosium system been scrapped in favour of RQ? Has the Adventures in
> Glorantha book been scrapped in favour of a new system?
>
> RQA4 was from last autumn, and I'm sure that the rumours will be out-of date,
> so what's the truth behind this?

At the weekend I was at VATICON where I met David Boatright who picked up a playtest copy of RQA4 at RQ Con. He said that it definitely would not be coming out in the form in which it was submitted. In particular AH (I assume) had a problem with changes in the combat system, in particular the streamlining of the Damage Bonus mechanic. I don't know whether a revised version will emerge or not. It looked quite good. On the other hand I don't think that I would use it much, though it did have some cool stuff (like short form write-ups of Lunar cults like Conquering Daughter.) However, RQ is a very old game. I would certainly opt for Pendragon Pass or Glorantha-the Game the game over the old warhorse, though even Pendragons mechanics lack innovations like difficulty levels, using only one type of die, etc.