DP and WB&RM heroes

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_sartar.toppoint.de>
Date: Thu Mar 20 10:05:23 1997

The Hero Issue

First a disclaimer: I feel that the difference between heroquesters, heroes and superheroes is more a game mechanic for Super-RuneQuest and Dragon Pass-like boardgames, possibly also a less powerful Heroquest as hinted at in Tales 7, than for Gloranthans or everyday RuneQuest players. (Note that I play about 50% of my RQ 3.9 campaign as heroquests, events which take the players into a more magical environment, so heroquesting and meeting heroes is within the scope of my everyday gaming. I just don't think it matters whether Garrath Sharpsword is a simple Storm Voice/Wind Lord, an accomplished heroquester or even a near superhero. He's a lot more powerful than the player characters are, and likely ever will be, without being totally invincible if caught in favourable mythical terrain.)

For this reason I'll stick with my musings mostly to DP-like games, where the difference does have an immediate meaning. My comments to other opinions on this topic follow in the next message...

I've discussed the hero status of a number of heroquesters mentioned in Genertela - Crucibe of the Hero Wars with Greg, in order to determine their DP stats. While this probably doesn't give me insight in how Gloranthans rank and evaluate heroes, it does for boardgame purposes.

In DP, all the characters possessing one or two "!" in their combat factors are either heroes or superheroes. (Issue 2 of Wyrms Footnotes has a couple of rules for the earliest edition of WB&RM which include the possibility of Ethilrist and Keener Than to unite into a fourth superhero, but with a Movement Factor of 7 instead of 6.)

What I actually asked Greg was whether Kallyr, Brian and Fazzur would have DP stats. I suggested they were heroes, i.e. _4!_ - 10 - _6_ - X counters. He replied that neither of these were heroes. On my urging that they were mentioned as notable heroquesters, Greg admitted that they could get leader stats like the Praxian Khans, i.e. _1!_ - 4 - 7 - X
(Or more likely _1!_ - 4 - _6_ - X, since they are no nomads). Greg also
said that after the siege of Whitewall and other feats, in the end Kallyr and Brian might be considered heroes. Fazzur definitely is no hero, but a leader of great charisma, so he might gain the honour of his own counter.

This far my discussion with Greg. What follows is IMO.

The (human) heroes presented in G:CotHW are (known by 1621 to play an active role, earning their own boxed article): Argrath
Sir Meriatan
Garundyer

Harrek
Jar-eel

The index has a greater headcount, and lists some elsewhere. I tried to rearrange them in DP terms as I see them (still subject to discussion).

DP style superheroes of Genertela:
Harrek, Jar-eel, Androgeus, Tada, Ethilrist (cum Keener Than, the Hound, and items), Arkat (not the multiple ones, but a composite one), Yanafal Tarnils, Archexarch 7 Dragon/Wisdom, Pharaoh, Jannisor (?).
(Ethilrist gains his infinite MgF from mastery over the Hound, 7 Dragons
from his draconic nature.)
Godunya would be a dragon counter instead. Argrath and Sheng Seleris might be "promoted" after Argrath's return from his LBQ.

DP style heroes:
DP: Argrath, Jaldon, Gunda, Red Emperor, Beatpot, Ethilrist,   Cragspider, Ironhoof, FHQ, Inhuman King, Dwarf, Twins, Harmast (RIP),   Ingolf (RIP), Alakoring (RIP)
Kethaela: Silver Age Heroes (RIP): Heort, Tessele, Vogarth, Only Old One... Fronela: Meriatan, Death-on-a-Horse, Jonat (RIP), Talor (RIP) Ralios: Garundyer (with a lot of extra exotic powers), Siglolf, the 5   Arkats, Aruzban, King Dan (RIP)
Kralorela: Kui Hui, Imolo Wen, Ban Yow (RIP), various others yet unknown Peloria/Pent: Great Sister, Dranz Goloi, Red Emperor, Beatpot, Hwarin   Dalthippa, Jannisor (RIP), Ralzakark, Kalikos (RIP) Seshnela: King Dan (RIP), Hrestol (RIP, or spirit?), Gerlant (RIP) Teshnos: none
Prax and Dagori Inkarth: Troll Heroes (some RIP): Geras Kag, Neep, Pikat...

DP/NG style leaders:
DP: Fazzur, Kallyr (with exotic ability to summon Star Captain?), Brian, Hofstaring Treeleaper (exotic leaping ability), Richard the Tigerhearted, Mularik the Cruel, Yazurkial Blue Llama (Llama Khan), Narmeed Wirlvishbane
(Bison Khan), Rurik Runespear, Geras Shag (exotic ability to incarnate
Geras Kag?), Onjur Fazzursson, Moirades of Tarsh (until 1629?), Harvar Ironfist, Hahlgrim, Oddi the Keen, ...
and most other military leaders mentioned as People of Note.

DP style exotic individuals:
Forang Farosh, Keener Than, Delecti, Orlaront Dragonspeaker, Leonardo

WF 4 (I seem to recall) introduced Magical Leaders: a Lunar Dean I think, Aristos the Philosopher (a piece which disappeared in some rules changes, former Best Friend of Androgeus in the 3-player game, otherwise her opponent, like Keener Than?) for the Independents, and the Royal Librarian for the Sartarites (I don't think Montague Goodcandle, more likely Minaryth Purple, the most experienced heroquester of the 1613 Sartar High Council).

Into this category I'd include the some of the characters listed as Adepts in G:CotHW (Argin Terror, Ralios; Brostangian Archmoor, Carmania; Gaiseron the Mystic, Fronela; Not-to-be-called, Ralios; Ostorious Archmagus, Seshnela).

Delecti, DP; Forang Farosh, DP and Leonardo the Scientist, Kethaela are Exotics rather than magical leaders.

To make scenarios more interesting, one could include non-exotic individuals as well, be it as hostages (e.g. Sartarite tribal kings?)

End of Glorantha Digest V1 #261