Currency

From: sstair_at_cs.utep.edu
Date: Thu, 18 May 95 16:51:24 MDT

Ville Kaikkonen wrote:
> 1. Currencies. Clacks, wheels, lunars and bolgs. I have a dim idea of the
> usage of lunars, who uses them and how much (possibly the Lunar Empire
> and the surrounding areas and not in very large quantities) and I
> remember reading from some book or other that clacks were originally used
> and developed by dwarwes. But what are these wheels? Who uses them and
> how much? Any other uses for money in Glorantha than trade (religious?)?
> Does anyone out there have some kind of currency rates? Again, I remember
> reading from somewhere that bolgs are about one tenth of a lunar, but
> correct me please, if I am wrong.

Off the top of my head:

1 wheel = 10 lunars/silvers = 100 clacks = 1000 bolgs
1 lunar = 10 clacks = 100 bolgs
1 clack = 1 bolg

(Though I am not sure about the wheels -> lunars ratio) Of course, YMMV.

Wheels are used by Yelmalians (Sun Domers), and I recall there being some indication (MOB?) that they melt all other coins into bars to discourage their use. This is probably not done by the common man, tho'.

Also, I believe that the usage of a silver coin is more widespread than you think.
- --
Stephen Stair
sstair_at_cs.utep.edu