Hrestoli Knights and Rokari Wizards

From: Soren Petersen <petersen_at_inet.uni-c.dk>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 1995 18:51:21 +0200

After a break of a few months, I'm about to start my Pavis campaign again. One of my players have decided to retire his Karrg's Son, and chose a Hrestoli Knight from Loskalm as his new character. Since this is my first experience with Western characters, I've been reading up on the
(sparse) information on culture, way of life, etc.

First off, I noticed in Gods of Glorantha that a Hrestoli Wizard have almost Runelord-level requirements (Attack and Parry 90%+ etc.). On the other hand, a Lord must qualify for Adept status in wizardry!?

I assumed this to be a typo, but reading through Sandy Petersen's Sorcery Rules, I found the same statement. Do Wizards really run around swinging bloody great swords and chopping trolls to bits, while Lords mumble arcane gibberish in dusty towers? I would think it's the other way around, yes?

Secondly, since the other PC's are currently in the employ of Arlaten the White, it would be logical for this exhausted Knight (recently arrived in Pavis, minus his horse) to come in contact with Arlaten
(and maybe seek employment).

However, I'm somewhat in the dark about Arlaten's reaction to this event. How does a Rokari Wizard and a Hrestoli Knight relate to each other? Would they be at each other's throats in a second, or would they appreciate the presence of another Western (ie. Civilized) person in this land of Godless Heathens Who Deserve To Be Cut Down Mercilessly?

I know it's down to how well the encounter is role-played, but I could really use some pointers on this topic.

Cheers

Soren Petersen