Re: Adventurous Death

From: Eric Johnson-DeBaufre <imlac_at_acs.bu.edu>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 1995 10:06:35 -0400 (EDT)

I'm new to the list, so I hope that I'm not committing some terrible breach of protocol by responding to an article without having first introduced myself. John Leske quite correctly recalls that according to
_Cults of Prax_ Humakti cannot be resurrected, and then goes on to
speculate about the rich roleplaying opportunities surrounding the idea of Humakti undead. It was my understanding, however, that according to
_Cults of Prax_ Humakti intiates and higher cannot be turned into zombies
or skeletons. Is this just another way of saying that Humakti cannot be turned into undead, or only that they cannot be turned into these specific forms of undead? I know that _TOTRM_ #5 was devoted to Humakti (alas, I don't subscribe), did it have anything to say on this issue?

        On a more general level, I would be interested in knowing how other people handle Humakti in their games. For instance, in my game, in addition to severing all kinship ties, the Humakti have an alcove in every temple which contains a pair of stone tablets separated by an inverted sword. The tablets are a Roll of the Honored Dead (i.e. a list of all those who have "died" through initiation into the cult). Does anyone else have anything similar? What are some of the distinctive feature of Humakti in your games?

        Finally, does anyone know where I can get my hands on the newest info about Humakt (i.e the write-up in _TOTRM_ #5); has anyone made any of this info available by ftp?

        Thanks in advance for any replies and my apologies for the length of this post.

Eric

Eric Johnson-DeBaufre		"He who has nothing external that can divert
Boston University		 him, must find pleasure in his own thoughts,
(imlac_at_acs.bu.edu)		 and must conceive himself what he is not;
				 for who is pleased with what he is?"