Tatius's demon, and My Giants

From: c. richard <crhutchi_at_facstaff.wisc.edu>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 1995 15:37:39 -0500

Hello all; interesting discussions lately. I'm materializing to ask one question and to hazard presenting some campaign stuff on giants that I've used (my campaign frequently focuses on the relationship of the Pavis area and the giants).

Question (delving into KoS, p.152):
A curious incident occurs when

"...Argrath White Bull raise[s] an army and ...marche[s] against Sartar.
Tatius sen[ds] a demon which had two arms, and an extra one, against them. The nomads were slaughtered...."

Thoughts as to what demon this is? Must be nasty, as it apparently smokes Jaldon and a good portion of Jaldon's Army, which to my knowledge isn't a bunch of slouches. I suffered for creativity in my campaign when it happened and just said it was a big-ass demon that swallowed up terror-stricken nomads by the mouthful (but _not_ the Bat).

My giant info is in two parts - a documentation of a rare discourse between a sage and a giant (from campaign events), and assorted notes for a player who is playing a giant PC.

The following is an excerpt from the notes of Volltain the Wise, brought to you by the Lhankor Mhy temple's Courageous Sages series.

INTERVIEW WITH A GIANT
by Volltain the Wise, Old Pavis Faction Lhankor Mhy Temple God-Truth-Storm, 1630

I had the dubious opportunity to speak with the rather unusual giant called
"Punt", who recently caused an uproar in Free Pavis by paying a visit from
his home in the Rockwoods north of Adari. I began asking Punt straightforward questions about his race, but soon found that he saw no generalizations applicable to them, and I decided to take a more circumlocutory approach by following him around the Big Rubble and noting his reactions to certain situations (including taking a harrowing adventure under the Rubble to find the remains of a Cradle, and lay its tormented former occupant's spirit to rest). I was amazed to find certain consistencies in his behavior - not really a semblance of culture or social conventions, but more a consistent instinctiveness that walked the line between animal and human intelligence. I discovered several "rules" (actually powerful instincts) that apparently apply to a majority of giantkind. Although Punt did not refer to them as rules, his actions did suggest the presence of such.

Rule#1: The Elder children are the past, present, and future. All else is nothing compared to their livelihood. Punt put all personal safety behind to set the situation right with the Cradle.

Rule#2: Each giant is master to all but the bigger and stronger. No concepts of rights or obligations exist. This especially applies to
"punies" - a giant term for the smaller races, who are food if the giant
pleases. Punt's every action showed that he had no concept of respect for punies, and would gladly eat them when he grew hungry.

Rule#3: Actions, not words. Among giants, big muscles rule. Talkers get crushed if they overstay their welcome. Giants follow whatever feeling is strongest in them at the time - so, if they are hungry, they eat the tastiest visible morsel. If they are angry, they kill anything around them until they feel better. If they are tired, they rest wherever they please. This propensity causes much of the friction between giants and punies - Punt has luckily so far been kept out of Free Pavis; his depredations amongst my people have been savage enough.

Rule#4: Contrariness is natural. Attempts to persuade giants, magically or otherwise, often result in the opposite effect. This seldom occurs if it is obvious to the giant that the effect would be detrimental (but not much is obvious to a giant!). I was cautious in using this to my advantage, as I knew Punt was rather cunning for a giant, and probably would not take lightly to being manipulated if he realized it. A corollary to this rule is that giants despise being controlled - if they realize or suspect that someone is using them for their own betterment, violence is inevitable.

Rule#5: Thinking, talking, and similar higher acts of cerebration are unnatural to giants (as Rule #3). However, one surprising thing can make them stop their violence and display some sapience - they are enraptured by beauty - be it physical, natural, or even musical. Manmade structures such as buildings hold little fascination for them but as toys, but paintings and poetry are usually intriguing. Punt spoke longingly of the Vale of Flowers, and once, to my horror, paused briefly to coo at a pretty young maiden before his hunger overwhelmed him. Music (in this case, song and poetry) was my one protection from his insatiable maw - actually, I think he found the rhymning of my verses most enjoyable as we travelled through the Rubble. Punt quickly found that he had a natural knack for rhyme, or so he thought; giants show little knowledge of artistic talent or taste. I fear that I have unleashed a terrible force here - the Donandar minstrels will curse me evermore.

So ends this document, found in a bloody satchel in the Rubble shortly after its composition. The temple is offering a 500 guilder reward for knowledge leading to the return of Volltain, but the worst is feared. As yet, Punt the giant remains in the Big Grazing, most commonly found slumbering underneath the shade of the Sorrowful Two willows, or chasing prey across the grasslands. He can be recognized by his giant wooden drum whose sound usually betrays his arrival, and bears a stubbly horn in his forehead. His hunting call is known to be "Punt be hungry. Come fill me tummy." Locals are advised to avoid this capricious and destructive being.