Three-armed monsters & dragons

From: Nils Weinander <niwe_at_ppvku.ericsson.se>
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 1995 14:48:40 +0200

c. richard(Dick) hutchinson:
>"...Argrath White Bull raise[s] an army and ...marche[s] against Sartar.
>Tatius sen[ds] a demon which had two arms, and an extra one, against them.
>The nomads were slaughtered...."
>
>Thoughts as to what demon this is? Must be nasty, as it apparently smokes
>Jaldon and a good portion of Jaldon's Army, which to my knowledge isn't a
>bunch of slouches. I suffered for creativity in my campaign when it
>happened and just said it was a big-ass demon that swallowed up
>terror-stricken nomads by the mouthful (but _not_ the Bat).

Among the most feared legendary monsters in the East Isles are the 'storm giants', children and followers of the chaos god Xamalk. They look like huge giants with a variable number of legs, arms and heads, so 'two arms and an extra one' wouldn't be odd there. In RQ terms normal storm giants vary in SIZ from 25 up to 120. One directly descended from Xamalk could be far bigger. The characters in my campaign had to deal with one of semi-divine status which was about 10 km tall. It was just waking up from a looong torpor.

Peter Metcalfe:
>We know
>that when the rivers invaded the land during the Gods War, they were often
>called Blue Dragons (Oslir/Nestendos etc). And since the Dragonnewts are
>related to the ordinary riverine newtlings who do indulge in river worship,
>the origin of the assoication of Dragonewts with the Water Rune should be
>obviouys.

Which is pretty strange since dragonewts show no elemental powers associated with water whatsoever. Besides, renegade dragonewts never join elemental cults.

On the other hand, there is the Kralorelan Blue Dragon who lives in the sea.

>Since Dragonewts don't write

Is that for certain, or could it not just be that humans don't recognize dragonewt writing for what it is?

>(and are incapable of drawing pictures)

Oh? how come?

>The EWF in an
>attempt to bring about the Grand Dragon (which was really an insane pipe
>dream IMHO) began draconizing all the local spirits they could find.

That's a compelling theory. However I don't share your view of the plan as an insane pipe dream. After all, according to draconic philosophy, the world was created from the remains of the self-mutilated Cosmic Dragon. The EWF Great Dragon experiment could then be a resurrection/rebuilding attempt.

>Thus when the Dragonkill war begins, the True Golden Horde are suprised by all
>the dragons that appear.

Also, such trivialities as time and space don't really bother a true dragon. If it wants to be somewhere some time it just goes there.

Nils W				| It's hard to win when you always loose
Office: niwe_at_ppvku.ericsson.se	|

Home: nilsw_at_ibm.net