Holidays in Hell

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 1995 15:00:10 +0800

>> some strange coincidence all of the (known) backdoors into Hell seem to
>> be in Dragon Pass or in the back of beyond. Luathela, Hellcrack and
>>Magasta's
>> Spout are not yet regular tourist destinations, are they? If Cragsdpider
>> and Ethilrist have cellars in the Underworld and spires in the Sky
>> similar sites probably dot the rest of the world. (The one in the Nidan
>> mountains being a prime example.)

        I once saw a list, in an old WF, though I am sure that Greg and others have added a few since then. I can't remember them all, though.

        A few notables - I think there is one at the bottom of the Crater. There is a locked door in Fronela mentioned in G:CotHW (the Hero Wars there involve someone trying to unlock it?). I would be surprised if the Ralian trolls don't have something, as they have a Castle of Lead too (the Dagori Inkarth one has basements in Hell) (and they had Arkat).

> Note: The Glass Palace of the Only Old One originaly connected with Heaven
>and Hel. But when Yelm rose again, and first crossed the Sky, he broke the
>topmost spires of the palace off; they were in his way. And of course, the
>rest of the palace was destroyed & turned into the Tar Pit by the final battle
>vs the Pharaoh. Perhaps an Earth or Darkness cultist could find a way to
>sink down through the tar into the ruins of the palace's foundations and travel
>on to Hel, but it sounds pretty chancy....

        Well, you can definately get to Hell this way, but you really need to cope with some way of surviving swimming in boiling tar. And you would be extremely tough or foolhardy to attempt it without being friends with the various trolls etc. that live underneath the Shadow Plateau.

        Cheers

                David