An alternative to the Draconic orthodoxy

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 1995 15:13:46 +0800

>My own opinion is that the Inhuman King after it disentangled itself from
>the pit of corruption that was the EWF Grand Dragon project decided that
>Elemental Attachments was Not A Good Thing and all subsequent dragonewts
>(around Central Genertela) have honoured decision to such an extent that
>moderns think it is impossible. Kralorela may have a different view but
>IMO they're still trying to get rid of False Dragon Ring 'innovations' to
>have a uniform answer.

        My opinion is probably that Elemental Powers are considered by the dragonnewts to be Dragon powers, rather than draconic. Elemental powers are about the very stuff of the universe, and true dragons can change reality with their thoughts, so obviously they have elemental powers (not to mention the many examples of dragons that do). The dragonnewts, after due consideration and thought, and perhaps even some flirtation with the idea during the EWF, have decided that elemental powers are too deep for mere dragonnewts to mess with, in much the same way as draconic magic is too deep for mere cresteds (or humans) to mess with. Humans might mess with elemental dragons (like the Sun Dragon cult) but humans do all sort of stuff that is spiritually foolhardy.

        Renegade dragonnewts avoid elemental powers for the same reason they avoid conventional draconic powers - they are trying to avoid the draconic path, not progress along it. Dragonnewts that have the spiritual hubris to use elemental magic probably become dinosaurs or magisaurs instead of renegades.

        Actually, I really like this theory - all fits together nicely.
        Cheers

                David