Dragonewts and the Oslir

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 1995 11:25:06 +1300

John R. Snead:

>What about renegade dragonewts. From some things I've seen it looks like
>some renegade dragonewts become a part of the local human culture. I
>imagine that this is much more common in Kralorela than anywhere else.
>So, how "human" can a renegade get?

The best interpretation of Dragonewt behaviour was Sandy's rules in Codex #3. (BTW How's Codex #4 coming along?). There, a rational for _part_ of the dragonewts weird behaviour is that they are 'trying to get a life'. The Outlaws have ceased to believe in the Dragonewt way so they are rather warped mentally.

>There was some mention that renegade dragonewts never join elemental
>cults. OK, what kind of cults might they join? To me at least, some of
>the Eastern cults don't look to unlikely, and the Lunars will accept
>*anyone*.

I imagine they join weird deranged cults in keeping with their lack of emotional completeness. Humakt is probably the most popular (as seen in Apple Lane) for the outlaws have got the lack of afterlives to angst about and that the god is acknowleged to be a few arrows short of a quiver in terms of emotion. Lhankor Mhy, I suppose, is another possibility with the sterotype of Ivory Tower types (after all, look at Scholar Wyrm). If they are uncivilized, I suppose they could follow a hunter god like Found Child (ie a loner).

Frederic Ferro:

>1 Does anyone know where I could find infos about the Goddess Oslira ?

The best source of information on the early myths of Oslira is the Glorious ReAscent of Yelm from Wizards Attic (see FAQ for details on where to get it). Be warned, some of the material in this book is only _politically_ true. No Cult writeup exists of her AFAIK.

>Is she the Daughter of the White Sea ?

Definitely yes, although some people trace her parentage through the Serpent Nestendos.

>Is she the mother of the Dara Happan Three Poliads ?

I presume by Poliads you mean cities (Polis). No, two cities were actually founded by Yelm's Command in the Golden Age before the River whereas the third Yuthuppa was founded after the Flood. One city, Raibanth, did have its geography rearranged by the appearance of the river.

>Where is her exact source ?

Ormsgone valley, I think. Dunno where it flowed before the EWF. The Erinflarth which is a major tributary flows from Dorastor.

>In the Godtime, she used to cross
>all Genertela (see the map in Trollpak). What happened ?

Although many will state that she had her back broken by the rising of the Rockwoods during the Gods War, this appears not to be the case as the Mountains were rose before the rivers invaded. Probably some storm god did it.

>She is obviously the
>River of the Sun but does she have draconic connections, as some passages of
>KoS and Peter Metcalfe (Digest v2,7) seemed to imply ?

What the River Oslira is is a child of the Serpent Nestendos who was defeated by Murharzarm. Now many people see a connection between Serpents and Dragons. IMO, you might as well say all snakes are Dragons, or all crocodiles are Dragons.

>The sourcebook about
>the River of Craddles has a few allusions to a Rite of healing: when did the
>Oslir cure Yelm ? During his fight against Malia ? After his Resurrection ?

The tale may be an untold tale about Murharzarm, the First Emperor. He is often confused with Yelm by smelly barbarians and half-witted Solar Wannabes (ie those that live in Sun County for instance) who can't tell the difference. The Dara Happans know that Yelm was driven into the Heavens in order to maintain his purity against an indecent assualt by the Great Serpent Nestendos.

The River Oslir was the Greatest of Murharzarm's Servants and so the River Ritual sounds like something he did.

>2 Is Tatius the Bright from Raibanth (as written in the Composite History
>of Dragon Pass) or from Doblian (as said in _Genertela_) ?

He is stated as coming from the Assiday family of Raibanth. He might however have be born on family estates in Doblian.

>3 Where could I find infos about the MoonShips ?

The best description of them is given in Strangers of Prax.

>4 The Fethlon Hsunchens worship a Bat Deity. In my campaign, some Blue Moon
>Trolls ride large Blue Bats and I am looking for the official name of
>the Bat-God (I don't want to call her Chiroptera anymore...).

The Dara Happan Bat Goddess is called Mahaquata and is hated for being the one of the Assasins of Murharzarm. She appears to be associated with the Planet Artia which is depicted as a bat in Dara Happan Lore. The Blue Moon Trolls call this Goddess Quatanara. I don't think this is the name of the Fethlon Bat God which they probably call some other name.