Gates to Hell and worse places

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 1995 13:54:17 +1300

David Cake:

>>[entrances to hell]

> I once saw a list, in an old WF, though I am sure that Greg and
>others have added a few since then. I can't remember them all, though.

Erm, I recall seeing a similar list of places in the Rurik replies column. This the same place? The only difference is that it was actually a list of entrances to other worlds ie the Young Kingdoms of Elric. I can recall about four places: Glamour, the Dragons Eye, the City of Wonders (Da dead Pharaohs old place) and (get this!) the Big Rubble!!! (somewhere near the North Quarry, I think). Entrances to Hell I think are far more common than these Planar Gates.

I dunno whether it is possible to travel moorcocksian to other worlds anymore or not. Greg has said that Redbird (who was orginally an AD&D character who came into Glorantha from somewhere) was a bad mistake whereas Oliver T. P. K. Dickison actually had an actual cartoon character appear in one of his Griselda stories (presumably from the Big Rubble Gate). My advice: Use sparingly if at all.

> A few notables - I think there is one at the bottom of the Crater.
>There is a locked door in Fronela mentioned in G:CotHW (the Hero Wars there
>involve someone trying to unlock it?).

The Gate of Banir. I didn't think of it as a gate to Hell (although this is plausible). Fronelan records say that monsters came through it including the Tarjinian bull. It's somewhere in Timms and capable of being reopened by the Staff of Arinsor. I don't think Sir Ethilrist went there as Timms is a long way from Nida. So that's two entrances to Hell in Fronela.

>[Theory as to why Dragonewts no longer indulge in the Draconic stuff]

Plausible. My only niggle is whether the assembled Dragonewts think so clearly and consistently as we.

Nils Weinander:

>>Kralorean & Fronelan societies being what they are, people wanting to find
>>a path to Hel are scarce(er).

>Definitely. If there were ways to Hell in the west, the wizards have most
>likely made sure they were destroyed long ago.

or dealt with like the Call of Cthulhu manner: bury the gate under heaps of rubble and pray that nobody finds it.

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #11