Holidays in Hell

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 1995 17:52:06 +0800

> David Cake suggests that the Crater has a bottom, I had always
>thought that it was bottomless via some mystic means. I seem to recall
>that climbing the rim and looking down into the Crater was a sure way
>to go mad. Corrections, anybody?

        Actually, no. I suggested that there is no bottom, that if you dive into the Crater you end up in Hell, not the lower surface of the Crater.

        I don't think looking into the Crater can be all that bad, as many high Lunar nobles have the opportunity fairly frequently, I thought.

> By the way, I had heard once that the Castles of Lead have some
>sort of connection, allowing you to move from one to another directly.
>Is this true?

        I was under the impression that Castles of Lead had basements in Hell.

        On the other hand, Peter shows me up well and truly
>Erm, I recall seeing a similar list of places in the Rurik replies column.
>This the same place? The only difference is that it was actually a list
>of entrances to other worlds ie the Young Kingdoms of Elric.

        Yes, this was the list I was thinking of. I think it was actually a list of gateways to the HeroPlane, and it was suggested that from the HeroPlane you could travel to other worlds.

        My own view is that going to Hell is the same as going on the HeroPlane and going in a downward direction (for most Hells), so I mentioned those that sounded like they went down.

>I can recall
>about four places: Glamour, the Dragons Eye, the City of Wonders (Da dead
>Pharaohs old place) and (get this!) the Big Rubble!!! (somewhere near the
>North Quarry, I think).

        I remember that others included the Castle of Lead, and the Hidden Greens (I omitted the HG from my list as it didn't go down - I may have been confused between Glamour/Crater). I thought that the mention of the Big Rubble actually referred to the Gateway to the HeroPlane in the Puzzle Canal (which actually takes you to the Styx, so it does take you to Hell).

>The Gate of Banir. I didn't think of it as a gate to Hell (although this
>is plausible).

        Well, to some sort of Hell, anyway. I guess it could be one of those gateways to Primal Chaos (a la the Chaos Spawn spell, and the hole at the bottom of Festering Island).

        I actually think that this list only covers the permanent or recurring ones, there are many more gates that are temporarily created by powerful magic.

        Cheers

                David