Stuff, to coin a subject.

From: alex_at_dcs.gla.ac.uk
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 95 22:33:17 BST

I see the Digest Rules have changed in my lurking semi-absence, and are still being merrily ignored by all and sundry. Does the phrase "more quoted than original text" tweak no-one's social conscience at all? (Or "annoying and unnecessary .siggie", come to that.)

As to the Great(ly underwhelming) Opposed Runes Debate: I think I'll steer clear of this one, except to say in response to what seemed to be the original issue, "Does anyone in Glorantha consider Law and Chaos to be opposed?", I think that the majority Western opinion is to this effect. (Their liberal use of the term Krajlki seems to imply that that which does not comply with Malkion's (Natural) Law is Chaos, which is quite different to the Classical chaos/cosmos dichotomy someone suggested. Other groups my see things more in such terms, particularly the Kralori, in Void/World terms.)

_But_, since the Malkioni don't subscribe to the whole Rune Thing in the first place, much less Opposed Runes, it'd be fairly meaningless to wonder if this was opposition in the same sense as the Generic Theyalan Paired Powers.

Nick Brooke:
> [Piers Gaveston] is one of the *more* fascinating aspects of Edward
> II. You know that Eddie 2, along with Billy 2, offers some of the
> most convincing examples of relatively modern tanistry and sacral
> kingship you're ever going to find?

I forget whether I've mentioned this before, but some time ago Radio 4 did a play about said geezers, the premise being that PG had been crowned in E2's play, and that his murder was actually a sacral rite. Ed goes the same way for good measure later on, it's mentioned as an afterthought. I've no idea whether this is Whole Cloth stuff, or whether some tissue of historical evidence was the producers' excuse.

> James Branch Cabell's books "Jurgen" and "Something About Eve" are Heroquests.
> [...] Good luck finding copies...

Bargain Books furnished my copy of _Jurgen_ (and has also served me well for out-of-copyright shamelessly-Monomythising

> Robert Holdstock's novel "Lavondyss" is a wonderfully inspirational

There's also the earlier _Mythago Wood_, using the same schtick. More a story about myth than a story _of_ a myth, though.

> BTW, there's no such thing as a Brithini Wizard, IMHO: they are all Sorcerers
> (magicians working outside the confines of moral law).

This is what a hair-splitting Hrestoli scholar would say, of course. However, the various terms for the appropriate castes are almost certainly strongly related between Brithini and Malkioni cultures, and calling a Brithini a Sorcerer within his (Hearing Projection) earshot would be a certain "ribbit-ribbit" offence.

Sandy:
> There's
> a tiny trace of this in our own culture. You know, the mafia boss
> calls you and says, "You're a dead man." And you are, even though
> you can still walk, talk, and breathe for a few hours or days.

Or the predictament of the protagonist in _DOA_, another heroquest-ish piece of cinema. (Aren't they all?)

It's That Cult Again!

David Dunham:
> I give Humath the Air rune (and the title North War Wind)

The borrowing of/coincidence with the Pentan "Humakt's" name seems unfortunate here. After all, he's "North War Wind" in Pent because they don't "know" he's "really" Humakt, so this seems unlikely to be a widespread title.

> but so far I
> haven't given him any air rune spells. Perhaps he should get Lightning from
> his brother Orlanth ([...] Orlanth gives him Thunderbolt).

Sounds airy enough to be getting by on.

Tom Zunder wonders:
> Is the flag of Loskalm a blue/red/white thing with stripes and stars?
> Of course it is...

As comparisons between 17th century Britain have been floated, and as I've just been watching the film of _The Handmaid's Tale_, what about a blue/red/white thing with cross-counterchanged crosses, and an All-Seeing Pyramid? (Okay, I admit it: I'm really hoping to see if Evil Stevie's jaw-droppingly audacious trademarking of said icon stands up in court.) Tetrahedral pyramid, naturellement.

Cheiron (Who he?) writes of the Loskalmi not-so-Comfy Chair:
> 2. The Chair is intended only as a last resort. The WDC prefers to
> use a sorcerously inhanced form of dualistic psychological interogation
> jocularly known as the "Mister Nasty/Mister Nice" method.

Surely that's Grand Knight Nasty/Nice, there.

Alex.

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #12